Sunday, August 17, 2008

Raising Tadpoles


We have had a busy week, to say the least.  Nahum started 1st Grade and Isaac started Kindergarten.  They both love school, but scheduling their lessons around twin toddlers and a 7 month old has been a bit of a learning process for us all.  Since I had nothing else to do, snicker, I started this blog, am potty training Jesse and Jonas and even had the opportunity to go on two separate outings, the first being a date with my hubby of 9 years and the second, a meal with our fellow missionaries, the Rehureks.  All this to say, I am thoroughly enjoying a container of tadpoles that sits on my kitchen window sill.  What does this have to do with my week - absolutely nothing.  

We caught some frog eggs about a month ago and they have been eating and growing and doing all the other little tadpole things that tadpoles do.  Each day we clean out their water and feed them some lettuce that I have boiled (I found that out online).  The boys love them and if they were not out of reach, they would have killed them, accidentally of course, long ago.  So why do I allow about 3 dozen little swimmers in my kitchen, you ask?  They are so cool!  Really!  Have you ever watched tadpoles develop?  It is amazing how God made these little creatures to go from egg to tadpole, to legged tadpole, to froggy.  And although we may not be here long enough to see them become frogs, we are enjoying watching them grow for as long as we can.  We are so blessed to be able to enjoy the simple things in life and teach our children about how great our God is - simply by raising some little hoppers.  

So, if you are reading this, and you live close to us, and you want to adopt our little pets when we can no longer take care of them because we are on a Big Bird Hot Tail to Russia, please feel free to let me know.  If not, we will simply let them go in the little stream that runs through our backyard and in a few weeks our little neighborhood will be just a little bit noisier thanks to our frog raising skills.

2 comments:

ramona said...

How fun!! A friend brought a jar full of tadpoles to us, that he had gotten out of his swimming pool. Sergei and Zhenya took them on as a project and actually raised them up to adult froggy hood in an aquarium. They had to go out pretty often to buy crickets for them and it started getting quite expensive, though. I think JULIE needs to adopt these little guys and she can call and get advice from Zhenya if she needs it. ;-) Her boys would love them - and I bet Maggie would, too!

Give me a call or drop me an email if I can help with any homeschool tips. It has been a long time since I have had littles and I often wonder how YOU do it with yours, but I could maybe help with academics! :-o

Blessings
Ramona

MasonMoments said...

Hi Sharon!

I saw you started a blog. It is much fun and is a good way to journal what is happening in your family. I continue to think of how you downsized in preparing to move and said how freeing it is and am trying to "pretend" we are moving and get inspired to really clean out. I need to have a lot less.

We have never done the tadpole thing, although went looking for eggs today after I read your post. Right now we are watching a monarch caterpillar.

Hope all is well as you get ready to move! -- Amy Mason