Friday, April 15, 2011

I love to cook and bake, so I decided to start something new. I live in Russia where cooking and baking are just a little bit more interesting. Well, I think it is interesting. I hope that others think the same thing, but if you don't, you can skip my blogposts.

In America, I didn't cook or bake much. There really isn't much need to do that since there are so many convenience foods. When you don't have to do something, you usually take the easy road, or at least I did. But then the Lord took us to Russia. So began my cooking career.

When I moved to Russia, I didn't know the language. I started learning the Russian words for the different foods. Once I began reading and understanding Russian, I started combing the grocery stores for foods that I wanted to cook. I realized right away that there were many things that I could not find in Russia, but there was still a lot to work with. I began testing different brands and found the brands that I liked the most. What made it difficult was that I might find a brand I liked, but for some odd reason, it didn't act the same. Let me explain. I can most definitely buy flour here, but I cannot make a yellow cake or a pound cake. It turns out dense and wet. I have tried so many different flours and butters and milks, but to no avail! I will keep experimenting and let you know when I have mastered the yellow cake in Russia.

But for now, I will simply tell you what I made the other day and post of picture of the ingredients. Some days I may simply just post something that I find interesting or even post when I find an ingredient that I hadn't found before. It is always exciting to shop and find something new!

We had 2 students over last night and I made lasagna. I also made cupcakes, and yes, they were not even close to being perfect, but they looked pretty, so I think I will post a picture of those as well. Notice, I am using The Pioneer Woman's recipe. You must try it for yourself now!




No comments: